Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Under general supervision, the Operating Engineer performs a
variety of routine or skilled preventive maintenance duties in the
repair, alteration, and modification of buildings, equipment and
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Inspects equipment and facilities for proper operation and
- Maintains routine records and determines type and extent of any
malfunction of equipment and, as necessary.
- Adjusts, disassembles and repairs or replaces parts or
components, reassembles and tests for proper operation.
- Reports more serious problems to Chief Engineer for
instructions or maintenance scheduling.
- May attend to gas fired steam boilers, hot water boilers, and
- May make necessary adjustments to assure proper steam pressure,
combustion, water flow, water level and proper operation of safety
devices and auxiliary equipment.
- Tests boiler water and adds chemicals as necessary.
- May service and make repairs to heating, air conditioning and
refrigeration equipment including fans, motors, radiators,
thermostats, dampers and regulating controls.
- Replaces filters and fluids as necessary; and maintains routine
records of repairs.
- Performs a variety of general semi-skilled to skilled
maintenance, alteration and repairs to machinery, equipment or
facilities as assigned or in accordance with basic skills and
abilities, and standard procedures, diagrams or manufacturer
- Performs routine electrical maintenance, replacement or
alteration of circuit wiring, switches, control equipment and
mechanisms, motors, transformers, relays, generators, appliances,
fixtures, alarms, communication equipment, etc.
- Performs general mechanical maintenance of hospital and clinic
equipment, kitchen equipment, office machines and equipment,
- Normally excludes specialized and highly technical x-ray and
surgical equipment requiring specific training, experience and
- Performs general plumbing maintenance - Maintain, repair and
make alterations to steam, gas, water, air, and sanitary plumbing
pipes and fixtures.
- Bend, cut, ream, and thread pipe, wipe joints, test joints, and
pipe systems for leaks.
- Repair leaks and clear drain stoppages.
- General welding - cutting, joining metals not requiring
critical test tolerance or certification.
- Performs a variety of routine maintenance duties such as repair
and assemble extension cords, replace fuses, fluorescent ballast's
and tubes, clean and lubricate motors and other machinery.
- Clean sink and grease traps, replace and re-pack valves,
assemble equipment, repair drape pull mechanisms and related
- Performs a variety of routine manual duties as required, such
as moving supplies, furniture, equipment, removing trash, scrap
material, and replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Establishes and maintains courteous, cooperative relations when
interacting with other personnel, Health Plan members and the
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time
- Three (3) to five (5) years with in the last year, experience
in Building Plant Operations and Maintenance.
- Associate of Arts Degree in Engineering or technical
disciplines in Plant Operations, HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, or
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
License, Certification, Registration
- (LA City) Unlimited Stationary Engineers' License or comparable
license issued by legally constituted municipality in which a
facility is located.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Refrigeration License,
608 (or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire).
- Valid CA Driver's License.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of equipment, controls, and
building automation maintenance.
- Ability to read and interpret blue prints, schematic drawings
and technical manuals.
- The Employer reserves the right to review and modify these
requirements during the term of the agreement pursuant to
paragraphs 1819 and 2101 in the Labor Agreement.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
Primary Location: California,Downey,Downey Medical Center
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Night Workdays: Sun, Mon, Tue,
Fri, Sat Working Hours Start: 11:00 PM Working Hours End: 07:30 AM
Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation: B03|IUOE|Local 501 Job Level:
Individual Contributor Department: Downey Medical Center -
Prop/Fac-Facility Maintenance - 0801 Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation,
national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry,
disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information,
other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or
any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Click here for additional requirements >
Share This Job
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Downey , operating Engineer-plant, Other , Downey, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!