Company: Downey Unified School District
Posted on: January 9, 2021
- The anticipated opening is 12 months per year, 40 hours per
week in the Budget & Finance Department; and we will be
establishing an Eligibility List for future openings.
- The recruitment will be run as Open and Promotional (open to
current employees, employees on the reemployment list, and the
public). This will result in an eligibility list with successful
promotional candidates ranked first, above outside candidates.
- Only online applications will be accepted:
EXPERIENCE:Any combination equivalent to:
- Graduation from high school supplemented by course work in
accounting or payroll
- Three years increasingly responsible payroll, accounting or
financial record keeping experience
- School district payroll experience is highly
- School District payroll procedures.
- Methods and practices of payroll record keeping.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Financial and statistical record keeping techniques.
- Applicable sections of State Education Code and other
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Operation of a computer terminal and standard business
- Personal computer software applications, i.e., Microsoft Word,
Excel, Internet, Outlook, email, etc.
- Computerized payroll systems, computerized spreadsheet
programs, and financial software.
- Oral and written communication skills.ABILITY TO:
- Perform responsible duties related to payroll record
- Learn applicable sections of the current negotiated labor
contracts, State Education Code and other applicable laws and
- Compile, organize, tabulate and file data.
- Maintain detailed records for a variety of employee
- Prepare statistical and financial reports.
- Operate personal computer software applications, i.e.,
Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, Outlook, email, etc.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies
- Keyboard at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Work with computerized payroll systems, computerized
spreadsheet programs, and financial software.
- Operate office machines including calculator, typewriter,
microfiche, computer terminal and copy machine.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
- Complete work with many interruptions.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Demonstrate mental acuity sufficient to perform the essential
functions of the position.
- Demonstrate empathy, friendliness, patience and
- Be motivated to produce high quality work product.
- Demonstrate attendance sufficient to complete the duties of the
position as required.
- Comprehend and follow directions.
- Maintain a work pace appropriate to the position.
- Work within strict time lines and stressful situations.
- Reason in the abstract, process information, make appropriate
decisions, and make accurate calculations.
- Be motivated to excel, be participative and energetic.FUNCTION
& DUTIESBASIC FUNCTION:Under the direction of an assigned
supervisor, perform a variety of complex and technical
payroll-related duties to assure that District employees are paid
according to established guidelines and in a timely manner; process
and maintain payroll records and monitor data related to classified
and certificated employees.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
- Receive and audit District time reports for classified and
certificated employees; review, verify and tabulate hours worked
and audit for compliance with payroll rules and contract language.
- Communicate with District personnel in person, by email and/or
by phone to resolve payroll discrepancies and provide information
concerning salaries, deductions, and earned vacation and sick days.
- Review time sheets and records to assure accuracy and
completeness; avoid duplication of hours charged and verify proper
authorizing signatures. E
- Communicate with County offices and State agencies to clarify
payroll procedures and exchange information. E
- Prepare a variety of local and state payroll-related reports
(i.e., Worker's Compensation, State Teachers Retirement System,
Public Employees Retirement System, etc.); assure proper accounts
are charged for payroll expense; prepare payroll projections as
- Maintain detailed permanent records on employees regarding
accumulation and use of sick leave, vacation and other paid and
unpaid leaves. E
- Audit personnel documents for proper salaries and
classifications and determine retirement status of employees;
record out-of-class, substitute and temporary assignments. E
- Prepare supplemental payrolls and adjustments for employees
that submit late time sheets and for any other irregular or
non-recurring payments; calculate and process retroactive pay
- Operate a variety of equipment including a calculator,
typewriter, copy machine, microfiche and computer terminal. E
- Perform related duties as assigned.Note: At the end of some of
the duty statements there is an "E" which identifies essential
duties required of the classification.EXAMINATION PROCEDURESALL
COMMUNICATIONS FROM DUSD REGARDING TESTING AND/OR INTERVIEWS WILL
BE SENT VIA EMAIL.Anticipated Written Exam: Week of January 11,
2021Anticipated Oral/Performance Exam: Week of January 18,
2021WORKING CONDITIONSENVIRONMENT:Office environment; subject to
constant interruptions.PHYSICAL ABILITIES:Dexterity of hands and
fingers to operate computer terminal and other office equipment;
seeing to read and assure the accuracy of payroll and financial
records and documents; and hearing and speaking to exchange
information.Full-time Employees earn up:
- 12 paid vacation days per year
- 12 paid sick days per year with unlimited accumulation
- 13 paid holidaysThe District offers two excellent medical
plans, Blue Shield and Kaiser Permanente; two dental plans, Delta
Dental and MetLife SafeGuard; and vision care through Vision
Service Plan (VSP). Currently full-time employees (employees
working 6 hours or more per day) pay 10% of the premium cost for
these plans. All plans are available to the employee and their
dependents. This coverage is available to employees working a
minimum of 20 hours per week.
Keywords: Downey Unified School District, Downey , Payroll Technician, Human Resources , Downey, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!